1.03.2012

Blasted Bird Signals

Feeling a bit surreal at the moment. It took me a while to figure it out, but as I'm sitting here in an empty house, I can hear everything. That's right, I know what you said this morning. 
Well, of course not, silly. Just whatever sounds are in the general vicinity. 
The wind trying to rip the house down. Huff Puff. The incessant tick-tock of a clock on the mantelpiece. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.
The creaking of old boards in the house and that inescapable electrical noise that hums low in the background.
And then I figured it out. It's the birds.
They're chirping. 
It's January 3rd. There shouldn't be any chirping. Not that it's a crime. Well, sort of.
 Isn't it an unwritten law that there's to be no chirping in MN after November 13th, that there's to be at least five feet of snow by Decemeber 15th, and that it shouldn't bloody look like fall on January 3rd? 
Not that I mind. I love it. 
Except for the fact that it makes me leave my coat lying about when I go outside and I don't realize how ridiculously cold it's becoming outside until I'm physically there and then I'm freezing my arse off, but I can't be bothered to go back and fetch my coat. 
So. Birds are chirping, and I love that, the grass is brown, and I love that.
Now if I can only get my head wrapped around the fact that it is in fact January and not September. 

Disregarding thermometers and meteorologists everywhere,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment